Saturday, February 19, 2011

Choke by Chuck Palahniuk: Pg 1-34

Ok, I just finished The Giver this week, and now I'm starting a new book. The back sounded really interesting, but so far it's kind of sick.

The main character, Victor, describes his twisted childhood in which his mother struggled to get custody of him (and ended up just stealing him). Then it flashes to the present day, in which Victor is a "recovering" sex addict. Now, I put the word recovering in quotes because I almost feel like the only reason he goes to the sexual addiction classes is to get action. He has different girls to get with each night of the week, and he feels absolutely no guilt about it. In chapter 3, the reader is introduced to Victor's mother. By now, she is elderly and seems to be losing it. She doesn't know how to eat and she is living in an assisted living center (pretty much a hospital). Victor is paying for her stays by working at a historical center, dressed up as an Irish indentured servant with his friend Denny.

Right now, I'm a little confused about the first chapter (about Victor's childhood). And each chapter seems to jump to a different subject, so I feel like the book is going to be hard to follow. I originally picked the book up because it has a diagram of the muscles in the human body on the front, I figured it had something to do with the medical profession (this is something I'm extremely interested in).

No comments:

Post a Comment