Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Giver: Pg 1-34

Since I haven't gotten the chance to find a good new book to read, I figured I'd just read another one that I know is good. This in mind, I dug out my copy of "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. I remember reading this book in middle school I believe, and thinking it was the dumbest book I'd ever been forced to read. Then last year I brought it to Florida with me and I read it all in one day because it was so good. So today I read to chapter 5. 

In the first couple chapters, the reader just learns about the main character, Jonah, and the community in which he lives. From what I can tell, the creators of the community have tried to create a perfect utopia. For example, marriages are arranged by the government, and each family is given 1 boy and 1 girl child. Each child must do so many volunteer hours as they grow up, and Jonah does volunteer hours with his friend Asher. Each child is assigned a profession when they turn twelve. Jonah is currently 11 and describes being apprehensive about receiving his assignment. 

One interesting thing that happened was a memory that Jonah recalled. It will become important later in the book. Jonah remembers seeing an apple change as he played catch with it. He can't put his finger on it, but something bizarre happened. 

Jonah's family take in a baby to nurse him, because his father takes care of babies for a living. Jonah's little sister remarks that Jonah and the baby, Gabriel, both have the same light colored eyes (this is odd because everyone in the community has dark eyes). 

Although it is not directly stated, it is clear to the reader by this point in the book that Jonah is different than most of the other people in his community. He seems to think differently than others. He doesn't necessarily rebel against what everyone else is doing, but he may question it. The eyes thing is also pretty important, for some reason everyone in the community has dark eyes, except Jonah and this new baby. I think (ok.. i know) this small fact will turn out to be rather significant later in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment