Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov pg 1-50

After anxiously waiting through the whole third quarter, I finally got my hands on a copy of Lolita. I remember being really interested in the book when the librarian discussed it, but by now I can't even remember what it's about. The first fifty or so pages are pretty much just an exposition of Humbert (the main character)'s early life. As a child, he was in love with a girl who ended up dying. Ever since then, he's had a weird fascination with young girls which he calls "nymphets." A nymphet is a girl between the age of 8 and 12. This would be normal... If Humbert was also between the ages of 8 and 12. However, Humbert is a fully grown man. And he should probably be arrested for having twisted thoughts like this. But whatever. At the part that I stopped at, he had just introduced the famous Lolita. Humbert moved into a household with Lolita and her mother. That's all I know so far, and the language I a little hard to understands sometimes but the story is pretty good so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment