Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Final Blog

This semester, I think I read over 2,556 pages for etymology. When I first started reading, I was excited and read vigorously. However, towards the end of the semester, I became a lazy reader. I even became one of the bloggers who posted 3 or 4 blog updates in one night.
What I think I gained from this class was the knowledge that I can read anything I want. It doesn't have to be popular fiction in order for me to understand it. I read Pride and Prejudice, Lolita, The Giver, and a couple other books I never would have thought to read on my own. And the weird thing is, I liked them all a lot! When I read now, it's usually sitting on my couch with my family in the living room or laying in bed before I go to sleep at night. I can't, nor could I ever, read with the music on. It's just too distracting, no matter how hard I try. And I always seem to be checking my phone, except for the rare occasion I get so into a book I forget all about the incoming text messages. I told my parents all about Lolita, because I was so interested in the story, and they seemed to be pretty interested in what I had to say as well.
Before this class, I assumed the only poetry out there was Edgar Allen Poe and Shakespeare. I loved reading all the poems in Mr. Hill's class. I think it was good to get the experience in, even if I didn't understand every single one of the poems. However, writing them down seemed tedious to me, and I think I could concentrate less on the poems while I was writing them down.
I think it's so cool how this class is considered an English class, because the entire semester I felt like the class was a really fun experience and that's not typical of English classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment