Monday, May 2, 2011

Lolita pg 135-166

Ok first I'd like to say congratulations to our fourth period poetry winner, Kyle. All four competitors today were outstanding, and I really do enjoy listening to poetry read out loud.

But the real reason for this post is for my reading log. Lolita is getting addictive, I don't have a whole lot of time to read but I take advantage of every opportunity. I finished part one so I'll summarize that first. Chapter 32 was a tornado of events starting with Humbert and Lolita's discussion of Lo's various sexual activities while at summer camp. Imagine something like this going on at Fort Wayne's own Camp Potowatomi. Then Lolita changes and she seems confused and irritated with what her and Humbert have become. She threatens to tell the police that he raped her, and I'm not sure if she was serious or joking at this point, but either way it gave me the chills. The chapter ends with Humbert telling Lolita that her mother is dead.
I feel bad for poor Lolita, because she has gotten herself into a situation that will be hard to reverse. They go to another hotel and Humbert gets separate rooms, but he can still hear Lolita crying. Of course she's going to be upset about her mother, but if you ask me she's probably really confused and distressed over what she has done with Humbert. Nonetheless, she ends up climbing into bed with Humbert before falling asleep.
Then I started part two, which started out about their travels. For the next year, they travel abroad. I think this was Humbert's way of securing Lolita. They were traveling just the two of them, so it's impossible for them to not be close. All the while, Lolita is having sex with Humbert, but still indifferent to him. She could care less, and she loves to flirt, which seems to upset Humbert.
Last, they end up settling down and Humbert plans to get a job and have Lo go to an all girl's school (I wonder why???). Through all this, Lolita still cries every night.
It's so sad that Lolita is so torn up. If Humbert really cared about her, he would realize that he is most likely part of the problem. He needs to attend to her needs before his.

No comments:

Post a Comment